MB Program Overview
Overview of NCTMB Program
- Audubon Dallas is the proud sponsor of The North-Central Texas Master Birder (NCTMB) Program. NCTMB is a course in field ornithology for intermediate-level birders. It is designed to provide participants with techniques to enhance applicants’ existing bird identification skills and general knowledge of birds, ecology, conservation, and habitat requirements in Texas. It is also an “education for service” initiative. Participants will receive advanced training in field ornithology in exchange for volunteer services to the North-Central Texas community.
The NCTMB provides training on ornithological topics using a combination of nine classroom sessions and seven instructor-led field trips. Besides general bird identification challenges, topics will include:
- Ecological Zones of Texas and the Associated Avifauna
- Birding Equipment Including Optics, Field Guides, Written Forms, and Checklists
- Birding Etiquette in the Field
- Bird Structure
- Bird Migration
- Texas Specialty Birds
- Birding Ethics
- Record Keeping and Reporting, including use of eBird
How the NCTMB Program Works
Applicants will complete a written application prior to acceptance into the program. Successful applicants will be birders who have demonstrated enthusiasm for the hobby and who are capable of fulfilling the physical demands of attendance and participation during the calendar year. This includes all scheduled class times and field trips.
Field Trip costs including gas, park entrance fees, and accommodations when applicable are not included the program cost. These costs are incurred by each participant separately. Accommodations will only be required during the one optional Texas coast field trip (January) and the one required Texas coast field trip (April).
Applications are due June 1, 2020. Written notification of acceptance will be e-mailed to applicants on or about July 15, 2020
Full payment of the class fee of $175.00 will be due and payable at the first scheduled class. Payment arrangements are available. However, these arrangements must be made in advance of the first scheduled class. No payment arrangements will be made after the first scheduled class.
The class size will be limited to 12 participants to insure a quality experience for all.